Friday 2 July 2010

Lost Sarcophagus of Menkaure

Having further thoughts about the Lost Sarcophagus of Menkaure. Just where is it? What are the chances of recovering from it's watery resting place.

I came across a piece of internet chitter chatter the other day which stated that the sarcophagus was unloaded in Cyprus. No evidence was given to back this up and I suspect it is untrue. Also saw post that said divers had recovered the bell from the wreck of the Beatrice which had been carrying the sarcophagus back to England. Again, I think this is wrong.

My favoured spot for the wreck of the Beatrice is off Cartagena, Spain. I do know that a partial seabed survey was carried out last year outside the harbour and (they say) nothing was found. This search was not specifically to find the Beatrice but I am pretty sure finding the wreck was on the unwritten agenda.

Actually, I must see what the latest is on the supposed National Geographic funded search for the sarcophagus.

If you come across any references to the sarcophagus, please contact me through Egyptology News Network.

For the story so far, see  The Lost Sarcophagus, Ancient Egypt magazine. December/January 2009.

No comments:

Post a Comment